Competition Entry Rules
GENERAL COMPETITION ENTRY RULES
- All Entrants must be financial members of the Club
- All entries must be the work of the entrant
- Competitions are held in each of the following sections
- Section 1 Colour Projected Images – includes slides and digital
- Section 2 Monochrome Projected Images – includes slides and digital
- Section 3 Novice Projected images – Open category only
- Section 4 Colour Prints (Maximum image area A3)
- Section 5 Monochrome Prints (Maximum image area A3)
- Note: Album prints discontinued in 2022
- A limit of 3 entries is allowed in each Section on each competition night
- Within each section entries may be Set Subject or Open category, in any combination of 3 images in total which may be split across Set and Open categories
- For example:
Accepted 3 images are entered by Fred Gettsitt and these have been entered as 2 in Set and 1 in Open
Fred could also have entered 1 in Set and 2 in Open or 3 in Set or 3 in Open
Rejected Nigel Noidea tries to enter 3 in Set and 2 in Open and therefore has two too many images
- Images are judged out of 10 for annual aggregate competitions. Awards will be made at the end of the year to aggregate winners in each section. Within each Section aggregates will be based on each individual’s best 6 competitions.
- Annual Exhibition entries are judged by a panel of three judges out of either 15 or 30 points.
- Entries may be used twice only in normal competitions and are only eligible for entry in the Annual Exhibition if they have not been entered in a previous Annual.
Shields are awarded to top scorers in each section of the Annual and Aggregate Competition
(Judges will vote if more than one top point scorer)
- Printed images are to bear the Entrant’s name, section and title on the back (on either the print or the mat).
- All images must have a unique title.
- On competition nights prints are hung on felt cloth with Velcro dots. It is recommended that competitors affix Velcro dots to their own prints. If no dots are attached, Velcro backed bulldog clips are available. Hang your own prints in the appropriate labelled sections.
- For PRINT entries, the entrant’s Name, image Section (Colour/Monochrome), Title of the images and Category (Set or Open) eg. Joe Bloggs Colour Sunset at the Sticks Set are to be emailed to the Print Competition Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 7pm on the Tuesday prior to competition
- ALL ENTRIES ARE TO BE HUNG ON THE APPROPRIATE DISPLAY STAND NO LATER THAN 7:35PM ON THE NIGHT. LATE ENTRIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
PROJECTED IMAGE COMPETITION RULES – DIGITAL, NOVICE and SLIDES
As well as the General Competition rules, the following apply to projected entries:
- A maximum of 3 images in total across Set/ Open categories continues to apply to this section
- Slides must:
- Be in 5×5 or 7×7 format
- Be correctly spotted in the lower left corner when viewed in the hand the right way up
- Bear the Entrant’s name
- Digital images:
- Must be jpeg files
- The maximum file size of any one file is 2MB
- Maximum image dimensions are 1920 pixels wide by 1080 pixels high (NOT 1920 high!)
- Members who are unsure on how to re-size their images accordingly, should contact a committee member for further guidance. A guide for most common software is included below
- LARGER IMAGES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!
- Image files must be named, using capitals where appropriate, with the
- Competitor’s name
- Image title
- Section and Category – Colour Set, Colour Open, Mono Set or Mono Open
Your Name_Picture Title_Section & Category
Please split your name, image title and section & category with an underscore _ character
Joe Blogs_Image Title_Colour Set
Joe Blogs_Image Title_Colour Open
Joe Blogs_Image Title_Mono Set
Joe Blogs_Image Title_Mono Open
Joe Blogs_Image Title_Novice
- For all DIGITAL entries (including NOVICE) the images must
- be emailed to the Digital Entries Secretary at email@example.com
- have an email subject title in the format YYYY-MM-DD_COMPETITION name exactly as it appears in the program where
- YYYY-MM-DD is the Year, Month and Date (put a zero before months & days less than 10)
- there is an underscore _ between the date and competition name
- the competition name is capitalised – eg Faith becomes FAITH
- For the competition Architecture run on 27 January 2022 the subject would be
- be received no later than 7pm on the Tuesday before the Competition
Eligibility for Novice Section.
Novices are deemed to be those who have been a member of BPC or any other photographic club for less than 12 months and who identify themselves as relatively new to photography. It is assumed that, in any case, those consistently scoring high in the novice section will seek to stretch their horizons in the other 4 categories
IF YOU NEED ANY FURTHER CLARIFICATION FOR ANY OF THESE RULES, PLEASE CONTACT THE COMPETITION SECRETARY